14 Oct City of Hoover Residents- Waste and Recycling information
Garbage & Recycling Services
The City of Hoover provides to all homes within the city limits the following services free of charge:
- Curb side garbage collection – twice weekly
- Recycling – each Wednesday throughout the City until Oct 1st, 2021. After Oct 1st, Recycling can be placed in your garbage cart on your second pick up day. The second collection service will be for “mixed stream”- everything collected that day will be transported to RePower South and sorted to separate recyclables from waste. You no longer have to sort or separate. Just bag all debris.
- Curb side limbs/brush removal, large bulky items, you must call to schedule 205-444-7543 or 205-739-7311. You may also simply email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or use the free myhooverconnect app.
- The City of Hoover will no longer be utilizing vacuum trucks to pick up leaves in the City. Leaves must be bagged for pick up. You must call to schedule pick up if you have more than 10 bags of leaves.
Curious about your garbage route schedule? Type your address in the search section to see your new pick-up days starting Oct 1st, 2021.
Household Garbage collection accepts paper products and household food waste. You may also place small bulk brush or bagged brush in your garbage cart for collection if it fits, but only on the first pick up day of the week.
Residential Bulk Trash is the collection of yard waste such as grass clippings, twigs, hedge clipping, junk or rubbish that will not fit inside your cart. You will need to schedule these pickups. Large Bulk/limb piles are scheduled to be collected in no more than 10 days from the time of your request. Call us at 205-444-7543 or email us at email@example.com.
CURB SIDE COLLECTION
If moving into a newly constructed home or one that has never had previous owners, call the Public Works Department (205-444-7543) to set up new service. They will give you the collection dates for your area and will submit your address to the garbage company for bin delivery.
Place bins at the curb no later than 7 AM on the day of collection at least six feet away from obstructions such as mailboxes, utility poles or parked cars and no more than two feet from the curb or road with the opening of the bin pointing towards the street.
All residents must use the garbage containers provided by the garbage company. Personal containers placed curbside should be marked as such. You can take a permanent marker and write “PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE” on your personal carts if you use them for whatever reason.
Containers must not contain debris other than household garbage or unacceptable or hazardous waste such as paint, chemicals, solvents, dead animals, rocks, dirt, construction debris, or medical or biological waste. You may place small bags of yard clipping inside your cart if they fit, but only on the first pick up day of the week.
Trucks will not return to collect carts that are placed out late, blocked, too close to obstructions, or contain unauthorized debris or too heavy. (50 lb weight limit).
YARD & BULK WASTE
Place all trash items behind the curb for collection. Do not place any debris in the road, gutter, on top of storm drains, on sidewalks or next to utility lines/poles/boxes.
Construction debris and Landscaping debris or any debris resulting from a contractor’s work or project will not be picked up. They are responsible for the removal of any debris generated.
Tree limbs cannot exceed 6 feet in length.
Boxes can be broken down and placed inside or outside your cart on the second collection day each week for RePower South after Oct 1st, 2021.
SPECIAL ITEMS DISPOSAL
Paint cans– Remove the lids from all of the cans. If there is paint inside, put sand, dirt or kitty litter in the cans with the paint for absorption. Place the cans curbside with the lids off for pick-up.
- Appliances with Freon (such as refrigerators and air conditioners) will not be picked up until the Freon has been drained and a certified sticker has been placed on the item. A technician at an appliance service department can provide the freon removal. The items can then be placed at the curb for pick up. Again, call Public Works at 205-444-7543 for these large item pick-ups. Information from the EPA provided in this link may be helpful.
ITEMS THAT WILL NOT BE PICKED UP
- Large amounts of construction debris;
- Blocks, bricks, concrete or piles of dirt, tile, tires, etc;
- Landscape ties, cross ties, needles and animal carcasses.
Garbage service delays
The six (6) holidays in which your service could be delayed are:
New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
When one of these six holidays falls on the weekend, there will be no change in your garbage and recycling services. If one should fall during the week, you will have only one pick up day that week.